Friday, November 2, 2012

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

I recently learned (recently like this morning) that the above quote is often wrongly attributed to Benjamin Franklin. It may be a paraphrase though of this quote, which he wrote in a letter to Andre Morellet in 1779.

Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.

So why am I talking about wine and beer at 11 o'clock in the morning on a Friday? Well, because It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere and because the Giant supermarket on Linglestown Road opened a beer garden today! Finally, I can enjoy the same privilege as my Nebraska friends who can buy their beer in the same place as their groceries.

I went over on my lunch time to check out the new space. There is a wall of coolers and then 3 shelves of single serve bottles and six packs. I was very impressed by the selection. I recognized several craft beers from the Fort Collins CO area, including Rogue and Dogfish Head, thanks to my beer education from Nebraska. There were also local selections from Appalachian Brewing Company and Lancaster Brewing Company. Southern Tier Brewery and Presque Isle Brewery from the Lake Erie region were also represented. They also have 6 packs of Mike's Hard Lemonade and Smirnoff Ice for those who like more girly drinks. It's funny, I used to love that stuff, but now I turn my nose up at it. I'm now glad that I can enjoy "real beer."

I'll have to be wary of the temptation to buy beer every time I buy groceries. I am aware that it should be an indulgence and not a necessity. With the kind of beers I like best, stouts and lagers, the main reason not to overindulge is the calories I ingest. I'd have to spent an hour on the elliptical, or do Zumba for an hour every day, to burn off the calories from a six pack of Milk Stout.

All things in moderation!

Sources:
About.com - Urban Legends
Pennlive.com - Linglestown Giant Food store opens beer garden

No comments:

Post a Comment