Friday, September 28, 2012

Why I really can't call myself Wiccan anymore

This has been a long time coming really. I haven't attended a Wiccan ritual since 2 Beltanes ago at Brighidshaven in Erie PA. And I mostly went there to see Grey and Leo. I still find the rituals of Wicca comforting, enlightening and beautiful. I am still moved by those rituals. But I've never truly belonged to it. I think other Wiccans wouldn't consider me a Wiccan. I'm not part of a family tradition, I've never been initiated in to a coven. I don't feel any pull to do that either. Calling myself Wiccan now feels like putting on a shirt that is just too small.

My spirit is equally fed by the ADF rituals I've attended with Snow Water Grove (Long live the Tradition!), the lay-led groups I attend at the Unitarian Church of Harrisburg, and the Sunday Services at the Unitarian Church of Harrisburg. In fact, UCH is the first church I have ever made a decision to belong to. I love belonging to their community. I feel truly welcomed and appreciated there. The principles and history of Unitarian Universalism are completely in alignment with beliefs I've held literally all my life.

Seven Principles (from UUA.org)


The inherent worth and dignity of every person;

Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;

Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;

A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;

The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;

The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;

Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.


So I would say that I am a Unitarian Universalist, with distinct Pagan leanings. I still love the God and Goddess, but I see them as one facet of a universal truth, that I can only hope to understand one piece of in this lifetime.

Links to organizations/groups listed in this article:

Unitarian Church of Harrisburg
Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship (ADF)
Snow Water Grove




1 comment:

  1. I too Love the UU community and what the religion represents. I have no problems belonging to both ADF and the UU, for me, they play very well together in my little world. :)

    ReplyDelete