Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Why I like, no LOVE, Zumba!

Zumba, according to wikipedia "is a Colombian dance fitness program created by dancer and choreographer Alberto "Beto" Perez during the 1990s. Zumba involves dance and aerobic elements. Zumba's choreography incorporates hip-hop, soca, samba, salsa, merengue, mambo, martial arts, and some Bollywood and belly dance moves"

I've been going to Zumba about once a week for a month or so now. I've always loved dancing, but now that I'm a little more mature (cough *old* cough) I don't like going out to bars and having to deal with cigarette smoke, crowds, and music that is way louder than it needs to be. At Zumba, I get to dance with other women, listen to fun music and burn calories. There's no bar stench and no nasty men trying to rub all over me when I'm shimmying and shaking.

Zumba is also an equal opportunity exercise. At my class at the Gold's Gym in Linglestown, there is no judgement in that room. Women (and occasionally men) of all ages, sizes and colors, are moving however they can and having an awesome time. Some of the instructors will have people from class get up on stage with them to dance, if you feel comfortable and know the moves. That gives me a goal to shoot for, makes me want to go to more classes so I know the songs and the steps.

I've never had a workout where I finish with great big smile on my face. I've done latin dance and bellydance DVDs at home and it's pretty good. But there's something about being in a room with other people, and having it change up from week to week, that makes it pure, sweaty fun.

So if there's a Zumba class in your area, or at your gym, I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment